The Griffin Chronicle

A Positive Learning Environment

Student interaction enables a good environment.

Picture courtesy of Tuscon

Picture courtesy of Tuscon

Sai Svati, Staff Writer

An environment is defined as the surroundings or conditions in which a person, animal, or plant lives or operates. Most of a person’s formative years are spent in a classroom. We learn and evolve as a human being in a classroom. A person is constantly learning and growing in a classroom. It is necessary that this classroom has an apt environment to aid the learning process. Be it a Math class or a foreign language class,a classroom where the physical environment is positive and encouraging is necessary.

Posters related to the subject helps one concentrate in class even when the attention span has expired. Hypothetically let’s say that you are in a science class and your attention is drawn to a pencil that was dropped behind you. Now, you cannot concentrate on the subject your teacher is talking about, so you look to see if you can find anything that interests you. This is where a colorful and a student friendly environment comes into play. You turn your head to the right and see a poster that has the chemical formula for Ethylene oxide. If you find this interesting, you will learn something new. If it does not interest you, you will turn your head and listen to the lecture. In both the situations one learns something new when one leaves the class for the day. A positive learning environment means that a student feels comfortable, has a sense of rapport with their teacher and peers, and believes they can be successful. This positive learning environment can be achieved by proper lighting, organised furniture and student friendly-subject related posters.

An environment where students do not feel accepted or respected is a distraction from learning. A classroom where the physical environment is uncomfortable will not help in the learning process. Let’s say there is a world map and chairs like those in a science class in your Math class. This, in no way is going to encourage you to learn effectively, unless you can concentrate on the lesson when the whole world is crumbling behind you. A study recently showed that the furniture arrangement in a class also affects the learning process. Humans are social beings, if one cannot talk to their peers when stuck with a problem, it leads them to think that they can never be successful in the class.

Thus, it is safe to say that the physical environment of a class plays a vital part in the learning process. When one wants to talk about something in a different language, the posters around them with words and their translation will come in handy to improve their fluency in that particular language. Having math formulas in class will help lost minds solve for ‘x’. While a World map or an American map in History class will help the student understand about the places and how two events affected the same war.