The Griffin Chronicle

Times Up

Piper Johnson, Staff Writer

Last year, women started to come out and speak about how they have suffered from some form of sexual harassment.  Starting with the Harvey Weinstein scandals, to more and more women in Hollywood coming out about who they were assaulted by.  A letter that was published in Time, states experiences of assault and harassment among female farmworkers.  The letter was written on behalf of the 700,000 female farmworkers in the United States.  On January 1, 2018, the Times Up movement began.  It is a movement against sexual harassment behalf of the women in Hollywood.  Although women have been suffering from this for years, we are wanting to put an end once and for all to men having superiority over women.  Men with high positions think that they can use their status to get what they want, not caring about the consequences of their actions.  They think that because of their high status that we will not say anything, in fear of what the outcomes may be.  Women are in constant terror that if they speak out against their assaulter, that their reputations will be diminished and people will disavow their accomplishments.  Now that we are speaking up about our experiences with sexual assault, we are the ones coming out on top looking stronger.  We are saying to the men that we can survive going through something so traumatic, and still be able to come out and seek justice.

This year at the Golden Globe Awards, in honor of the “Times Up” movement, men and women came wearing black and wearing pins to show their support.  Women on social media have been constant activists for this movement, continuously posting to spread the word.  When presenting the award for Best Director, Natalie Portman made sure to point out that they were all men.  Also, Barbra Streisand and Oprah made sure to input their opinions on people ignoring female directors at the Golden Globes.  I can only hope that as time progresses, this movement will only get bigger and our force field will become stronger.