The Griffin Chronicle

Being a Choreographer; “Hello, Dolly!”

Julie Mayuga, Staff Writer

Since starting highschool I’ve always been interested in dance. Before then, I never thought of teaching and being a creator. I always thought of it as mundane, complicated and stressful. However, over time, the notion grew on me. Choreography has ended up being one of my possible majors and focus on life after high school. As a senior, I was given an amazing opportunity to choreograph a musical theater piece for “Hello, Dolly” being presented by the drama program.

Mrs. Jones, my dance teacher, asked me in December of 2017 if I could choreograph for the drama show held in April 2018. At first it sounded amazing, what an opportunity I have to be able to show my skills! Then, it hit me. I asked myself; ‘Where do I start?’ ‘How long is the dance?’ ‘What if I can’t be creative enough?’ ‘How high are the expectations?’. I knew that this wasn’t going to be easy. But I knew in my heart that I had the confidence in myself and my dancers to create a strong end product.

Every choreographer has their own process of creating choreographing and a vision. A few nights after I was asked to coreographed, I watched “Hello, Dolly” at home (the Barbra Streisand version). Fun fact: the iconic song used in Wall-E and the video he shows Eva is from the musical Hello Dolly. I usually can picture the dance on stage whilst listening to the music, then I go from there. It took me three months and a book of notes to piece together a complex dance. In my dance there are props, sets and an orchestra playing the song.

My dancers all come from the dance program here at the school. They range from different levels of experience. However, I think my group is amazing. They’ve learned this dance quickly, with several obstacles and stayed committed to this opportunity. They’ve worked hard, diligently and has made my ideas expand into a realty. In conclusion, I hope everyone has the chance to see my awesome dance, and the fabulous musical, “Hello Dolly!”