The Griffin Chronicle

80s Movies You Have To Watch

The 80s Are Coming Back, It's Time to Catch Up

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

Emily Chavez, Staff Writer

In the many months of 2018, we have brought back the 80-90s fashion trends, starring with old school Nikes, mom jeans, ripped knee jeans and cropped jeans. But now, we have to talk about the movies that were left in the dusty attic of time.

For starters, Edward Scissorhands, an astounding film directed by infamous Tim Burton. Edward Scissorhands is a film about a scientist who made a automated human (Edward) but sadly dies before giving him hands. As for Edward, he is left in a house alone until Peg, a saleswoman takes him back to a small town that is not as welcoming to Edward. This movie has earned a 90 percent on rotten tomatoes, is still in the PG-13 range, and tells the story of teen romance that could make you teary eyed.

Another teenage romance movie is Pretty in Pink. It stars Molly Ringwald who plays Andie, a high school outcast. She is best friends with Duckie, who is not-so-secretly in love with her. On that note, this movie talks about the different social and wealthy classes that are in high school. Andie, who is of the lower class, goes on a date with one of the wealthy classmen of her high school (Blane) and it all seems a bit too good to be true. But will this class difference separate them or bring them closer? Pretty in Pink has a rotten tomato percentage of 78 and is still in the PG-13 area too.

Maybe after all this reading, you might want a break. If that’s your thing then check out Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. This story touches on a teenage boy (Ferris) who talks through his last day of playing sick and skipping school with everyone believing him. He touches on ways to fake it and how it is in the teenage conscious. Ferris takes his girlfriend Sloan and his best friend Cameron with him on his adventure, their principle falls behind them, trying to catch Ferris in the act. Will he succeed?

Now that you know some of my top favorites, it’s about time to go watch them yourself. Maybe you can show your friends your favorites or maybe find some more. These are not the only 80s movies that you can find. I only touched on some of my own but there are plenty that will make you laugh until you fall out of your chair or other ones that will make you shiver in fear. 

Emily Chavez, Staff Writer

Emily Chavez is a 13 year-old freshman and part of the Griffin Chronicle. She is in the choir group Axcent. Her interests include photography, Marvel studios,...