Los Alamitos vs. Long Beach Poly: A Longtime Feud, Settled

Griffins+Reign+Supreme+in+the+First+Football+Match+of+the+Year.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Griffins Reign Supreme in the First Football Match of the Year.

Elizabeth Guelpa, Staff Writer

For the first time in over 20 years, Los Alamitos High School’s varsity football team defeated Long Beach Poly with a score of 20-6. The score, however is not the most interesting part of the game. The crowd and the competition between bands and cheering sections is what truly brings the game to life. It was evident by the volume of the cheers and the school colors seen all across the crowd that this game was full of Griffin spirit. It was clear that the support for the team went all across the stadium.

Almost every single person that was supporting Los Al was wearing red and cheering along with the cheerleaders. There was definitely competition evident between the two teams’ cheering sections. At one point, students in the Poly cheering section turned on their phone flashlights, so the Los Al side did the same to counter. Soon, all of the stands were covered in flashlights and a feeling of competition spread. It wasn’t just the student sections that were cheering on the football players. Our marching band was in attendance to play whenever the team scored or during timeouts.

theOf course, it’s not terribly surprising that we showed so much school spirit as we have one of the best student sections in the county. We were being hyped up by our ASB, the cheerleaders, the band, and, of course, friendly competition. The noise at the game was near deafening just as it should be and due to all the screaming, our voices became raw.