The Griffin Chronicle

The Girls’ Water Polo Team Prepares for Their Upcoming Season

The girls' water polo team worked hard last year to have a good season, and they are sure to do the same thing this year.

Lee D

Lee D

Nicole Ginaven, Staff Writer

The girls’ water polo team’s season starts in early December, and it is coming up soon.  Right now, the team is preparing for their upcoming season in different ways. They want to do well and win as many games as they can, so varsity started preparing in the spring, and junior varsity started preparing in the fall.  To get the full story on how they are preparing, I sat down with Mr. Dave Carlson, the head coach of girls’ water polo.

The varsity team, which has won Sunset League the last three years, has been preparing for their upcoming season in many different ways.  They have been doing individual fundamentals in the weight room, and one morning practice a week. They are in the toughest league in Southern California, so they also have been scrimmaging against teams that are better than them- college teams in the summer, and strong 18 and under club teams now that the school year has started.  They are also part of the Monday Night League at Santa Margarita Catholic High School, which is the top girls water polo program in Southern California. Most importantly though, they have been spending lots of time together and bonding together as a team.

The junior varsity team, which has won Sunset League the last two years, has been preparing for their upcoming season in many different ways, too.  They have one morning practice per week, and practice daily after school. They do a lot of individual fundamentals and spend time in the weight room.  They are also in the same Monday Night League as varsity, and again, they spend lots of time together and do lots of team bonding, which is important to their performance during games.

Mr. Carlson also wanted to let everyone know that the team has a strong senior class, and the four team captains, Tara DeBrabander, Katie Dvonch, Lily Weiser, and Eva Browning, are all on track to go to a Division I college.  Also, all the girls on the team are looking forward to the upcoming season.

As you can tell, the teams have been putting in lots of work to ensure a great season and many wins.  You should support them and all they have been doing by attending their games, and the first one is in the first week of December, so keep a look out for the exact date.

Nicole Ginaven, Staff Writer

Nicole Ginaven is a senior at Los Alamitos High School who enjoys reading books and writing stories.  She loves listening to music, mainly One Direction...