The Griffin Chronicle

Red Ribbon Week

Rachel Heller, Staff Writer

The week of October 22 to October 26 was Red Ribbon Week at Los Alamitos High School. Some may ask, what is Red Ribbon Week exactly? Well, Red Ribbon Week is an alcohol, tobacco, and other drug and violence prevention awareness campaign that is annually held in October in the United States. It began after the kidnapping, torturing, and murder of DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) agent, Enrique Camarena. Drug use and torture were a big part of this investigation. People became aware that things like this was happening all the time, and decided to make a week to honor the victims.

Each day during this week was a different spirit day. Students were allowed to dress up, wear sunglasses, and wear school colors! Monday was wear red day. Tuesday was meme day, where students can dress up as any viral meme for the day. Wednesday students were allowed to wear sunglasses. Also at lunch on Wednesday students tye dyed thier t-shirts and socks to wear on Friday. Thursday was Twin day when you and a friend, or more, can dress alike. On Friday students wore the tye dye shirts or socks they made on Wednesday, or any tye dye they already have. Red Ribbon Week was a fun week, but the sole purpose is to help students understand and become aware of situations happening in America and around the world.

Awareness comes in many different ways, and learning about it at school can benefit students and even teachers. Having multiple ways to show school spirit can be fun, even during an awareness week!

Rachel Heller, Staff Writer

Freshman Rachel Heller has a huge love and interest for writing, athletics, baking, and photography. She is on the cross country team at Los Al, and she...