The Griffin Chronicle

College Visits During School Breaks

Back to Article
Back to Article

College Visits During School Breaks

Juniors and seniors should take advantage of the upcoming holiday breaks to visit colleges they might want to attend.

Photo Courtesy of Flickr

Photo Courtesy of Flickr

Photo Courtesy of Flickr

Nicole Ginaven, Staff Writer

Thanksgiving Break is coming up next week, from November 17-25, and Winter Break is right on its heels, near the end of December.  This gives juniors and seniors a productive opportunity to visit colleges, especially the ones that are far away.

If you are interested in or have already applied to a college that is in a different state, you can take advantage of these three weeks we have off this year to visit it.  Usually, Thanksgiving Break is three days long, but this year we have the full week off since the schedule was changed, so students should really think about visiting a college during this break, since they are given plenty of time to do so.  However, if you are not able to visit next week, or you already have plans for Thanksgiving, Winter Break is the next best opportunity to visit a college, or quite possibly a few.

Another benefit about visiting a college in a different state is that you get the experience of what it is like there- the weather, the people, the environment.  You get to see what the campus is like in person, and also you get to see whether or not you really want to go to a different state for college. Maybe you will fall in love with whichever college you visit, or maybe you will realize you want to stay in California for college.

On the other hand, there are some disadvantages to visiting colleges during breaks.  There will not be any students on campus, for one, since most will go back home during breaks.  Also, you will not be able to hang out with your friends, and doing your school work is harder when traveling, especially for assignments that require a computer.

Taking advantage of Thanksgiving and Winter Breaks to visit colleges has its pros and cons, though it is advisable for anyone interested in going out of state for college.

Nicole Ginaven, Staff Writer

Nicole Ginaven is a senior at Los Alamitos High School who enjoys reading books and writing stories.  She loves listening to music, mainly One Direction...