Double the Drama

Get ready for the premiere of two new drama shows.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Double the Drama

This is the poster for the upcoming play

This is the poster for the upcoming play "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time". Photo Courtesy of Los Al Drama Department

Megan Jun, Staff Writer

Drama is already preparing for new shows to come during the fall and winter. Auditions have just ended, and students are full of anticipation over which roles they may play. In the upcoming months, two shows will premiere in the Main-stage and Black Box theaters. These shows are titled “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” and “Godspell”. Both shows are filled will emotion, overflowing with beautiful messages, and they are bound to leave the viewers on their feet in the end.

“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” follows fifteen-year-old Christopher Boone as he tries to discover who killed a dog. After seeing the dead dog, many instantly assume that Christopher was the killer. Trying to prove his innocence, he goes on an investigation to figure out who the real killer was. With his unique and phenomenal math skills (although he does not understand ordinary life), he begins to discover not only the culprit but secrets in his own family that turn his world upside down.

According to drama student Mathew, “Godspell” is a musical based on the Gospel. Through parables, games, and intense absurdity, a comedic group of quirky players team up with Jesus to teach his lessons in a new age. This musical features famous music and a wide variety of songs from pop to vaudeville. Even after the horrific evil of the crucifixion, the underlying message of love and kindness lives on.

Many people are working together to make both shows a magical experience for the audience. A total of four teachers oversee these projects. Tech staff is full of creative students who designed and created the incredible sets, costumes, lighting, sound, props, and publicity. Along with the teachers and tech staff, no show is complete without talented actors and actresses. Their lively acting and impressive skills provide the final touch which brings the show to life.

Both shows are bound to be amazing, but why did Los Al’s Drama Production decide to bring these shows to LAHS? “I’ve loved Curious since I read the book years ago,” answers Mrs. Castiglione, one of the teachers overlooking both productions. “I saw the Broadway production and was blown away by how the story transforms on the stage. As far as ‘Godspell’, it has always been on my bucket list to direct. Since it’s a small cast, and we wanted a Black Box musical, this was an obvious choice for me.”

Both shows are in the process of premiering on-stage. Students are passionately preparing the stage and constantly practicing their lines until they reach perfection. “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” will be performed from October 17-19, while “Godspell” will be performed from November 19-23. Good luck to everyone who contributed to the making of these spectacular productions!