Coping With Stress

Dealing with stress is more important than you think.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coping With Stress

Worrying leaves an imprint of stress on you.

Photo Courtesy of dreamstime.com.

Worrying leaves an imprint of stress on you. Photo Courtesy of dreamstime.com.

Adalie Landa, Staff Writer

Now into a month of school, the amount of homework, upcoming tests, and daily life in high school puts a lot of stress into an ordinary student’s life. The pressure that follows a student throughout their classes can create a big impact on a student’s brain. The renowned Health Publications from Harvard Medical School state that “chronic stress contributes to high blood pressure, promotes the formation of artery-clogging deposits, and causes brain changes that may contribute to anxiety, depression, and addiction”. Ways to prevent stress include setting goals, organizing your schedule, managing time, and improving your overall lifestyle. You can do these things by attending the Back To School Series; the last two sessions of this series take place on September 24 and October 1st at the College and Career Center after school. 

Other ways to relieve stress is to take a meditation class or spend some time doing activities that do not require intensive concentration and brain functioning. A prominent NBC news article claims, “there’s new research from the University of Missouri-Columbia suggesting that hormonal changes occur when humans and dogs interact. This helps people cope with depression and certain stress-related disorders. Preliminary results from a study show that a few minutes of stroking our pet dog prompts a release of a number of ‘feel good’ hormones in humans, including serotonin, prolactin, and oxytocin.” Another way to relieve stress is to spend time with your family or friends; you can also ask them how they deal with stress. Finding ways to relieve stress from homework, tests, or school can drastically improve your high school experience here at Los Al!