Maladaptive Daydreaming

A blurb about the psychiatric condition, maladaptive daydreaming.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maladaptive Daydreaming

Francesca Macomber, Staff Writer

Daydreaming is a trait many different people have. In fact, who doesn’t daydream? Who doesn’t idly imagine a world in which cars fly, or in which the governor of a state does not have to be a human, but could instead be a fluffy border-collie?

According to Unilad, an online website, the average person spends three hours a week daydreaming. Such matters can become problematic, especially when the ramblings of a professor convert to a frenzied vision of a movie you saw last week. Everyone experiences daydreaming, the fun it can bring, and the harm it can cause, as well.

Alright, so what’s the issue?

Well, sometimes daydreaming can become a little more intense than your everyday creative imaginings. Connected to the usual daydreaming people often hear of is maladaptive daydreaming.

Maladaptive daydreaming is a disorder that involves heavy, vivid fantasies that can take up a majority of a person’s time; sometimes, it even leads to cancelling plans with friends, as the person would rather daydream than spend time with their loved ones.

Healthline states that it is a psychiatric disorder, that takes away from everyday activities, as the process of maladaptive daydreaming is time-consuming and is often used to procrastinate such as video games or movies are. That’s right, people who have maladaptive daydreams spend their time fantasizing or imagining scenarios or worlds instead of reading, doing homework, or watching television.

It’s not exactly a choice, though. Maladaptive daydreaming is linked to mental illnesses such as OCD, and similar disorders. 

In conclusion, the silly dreams of picturing a fly in a ballgown may be only what it seems to be; a daydream. But to some, daydreams are a totally different matter altogether. 

So stay dreaming, but not too much.