Why All Students Should Take Psychology

The ability to analyze behavior, understand mental functioning, and better relate to others can benefit all students.

The study of psychology analyzes all aspects of our existence in order to widen our perspectives, and help us better understand the underlying nature of humanity.

Jackie Bond, Staff Writer

When you think of psychology, what do you think of? Maybe brain structure, mental functioning, or even behavior. This may be true, but psychology consists of much more than just cognition. Psychology is the study of why we are the way we are- it goes far beyond how many brain cells we have or what our lobes specialize in.
Last year, as a sophomore in High School, I took one of the most rewarding classes in which I gained more pertinent knowledge than I even thought possible. AP Psychology provided me with more relevant, necessary information than any other class ever could. Not only did I learn about the classic, stereotypical concept of psychology- brain structure- I also learned to analyze behavior, determine the central aspects of personality, examine the results of conditioning, and memorize basically every other method for interpreting peoples’ perceptions and thought processes. As absurd as it may seem, human nature can be summed up into a single science- the study of psychology.
But the awesomeness of AP Psychology is not solely based on its relevance and usefulness, this class also provides students with a fun learning experience taught by incredible teachers. My Psychology teacher, Mr. Anderson, is one of the funniest people I’ve ever met and I loved having him as a teacher. The fascinating subject matter of this class, and Mr. Anderson’s enthusiasm in teaching it, inspired me to reconsider my future major and contemplate pursuing a career in psychology. I truly believe that every teenager should have at least a basic understanding of mental perception and human tendencies, and therefore everyone should take a psych class at least once in their life. The ability to analyze and interpret the actions of others will inevitably improve your interpersonal skills, increase your intellectual understanding, and provide you with a new perspective, which no math or history class could ever teach you.