The Importance of Motivation

If acted upon, motivation enables success and self-actualization.

Motivation+comes+in+many+different+forms%3B+but+the+most+effective+form+is+one+that+is+obstinately+pursued.+

Motivation comes in many different forms; but the most effective form is one that is obstinately pursued.

Jackie Bond, Staff Writer

Motivation, or the reasoning that underlies our words and actions, determines our behavior, ambition, and even our future. As explained by esteemed psychologist Abraham Maslow, motivation is derived from the need to satisfy biological, physical, and emotional needs in an attempt to gain self fulfillment. Most people strive for But, fulfillment comes in many forms; it can not be epitomized by the mere concept of success, or even love. Motivation includes all attempts at satisfaction, from money to love, success to revenge. All of which can only be accomplished through dedication and drive.
There are two types of motivation: intrinsic, the strive for internal satisfaction and to do what is right, and extrinsic, the desire for material gain. Intrinsic motivation provides a sense of joy and integrity that no amount of external reward can provide. Therefore, Intrinsic motivation spurs genuine satisfaction and accomplishment that extrinsic motivation often leaves void.
For many, motivation is just a simple desire that lacks any need for action; but for me, motivation is characterized by intense ambition and a constant drive for success. I have been working my whole life to do what I love and avoid the monotony of normalcy; I want to find happiness through success and accomplishment, which laziness can never grant me. Therefore, I strive to do more than just pass my classes or endure high school, I am driven to go beyond the mediocrity that others willingly accept. And I believe that if I stay motivated, I can transform my dreams of fulfillment into a reality.