One Giant Leap for Women

Back to Article
Back to Article

One Giant Leap for Women

Female astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Knock are the two female astronauts apart of the all female spacewalk. Photo courtesy of Bostonherald.com

Carina Sofelkanik, Staff Writer

NASA has surpassed a new milestone. An all female spacewalk took place on October 18th, 2019. The female astronauts, Jessica Meir and Christina Koch, ventured out into space to replace a power controller at the International Space Station. They are also doing more than just fixing a power controller. Knock will continue to orbit for a couple of months to help scientists and future trips to outer space. Knock is staying to conduct research about the effects of living in space on a woman’s body.

Both Meir and Koch are paving the way for other female astronauts that will follow in their footsteps. Jessica Meir says, “In the end, I do think it’s important, and I think it’s important because of the historical nature of what we’re doing. In the past women haven’t always been at the table, that can lead in turn to an increased chance for success. There are a lot of people who derive motivation from inspiring stories of people who look like them, and I think it’s an important story to tell.” Students at Los AL High are just as excited about the space walk as the astronauts themselves. Daniella Chait, a student involved with the Los Al engineering program says, “As an aspiring aeronautical engineer, I’m really proud of them. This will hopefully give women in STEM more opportunities and recognition they deserve.” 

The first spacewalk made up of all women is a huge, important step worth mentioning and celebrating as the NASA is working towards putting the next man and the first woman on the Moon by the year 2024. The women both in outer space, and here on earth that helped make this spacewalk possible, will forever be remembered for making way for women of the next generation.