Los Al Football Sails Past an Undefeated Newport Harbour

Trevor Hart, Staff Writer

The undefeated Newport Harbour High Football team took a loss in this Friday’s game against the 3-5 Los Alamitos Griffins. This game was played at Newport Harbour and it was quite good game for the Griffins. Los Al blew out the Sailors 44-3, and this was mainly because of the ground game Los Al had with a total of five rushing touchdowns. Quarterback Cade McConnell was taken out of the game after the score was 14-0. This was most likely because the coach of Los Al (coach Fenton) wanted to keep him safe and out of injury. Cade has had a large past of shoulder problems, leg problems and other concerns. On the other side, Freshman Quarterback, Malachai Nelson had a good performance against Newport completing passes and making smart plays left and right. Also it is nice to mention that a couple days after this game, Malachai received an offer play D1 football at LSU. This is nothing new for Malachai though, as he is still in contact with Georgia, Oregon and Auburn university. 

A few key things I noticed that were improving with Los Al is that their defense and special teams are getting much better. Senior corner, Cochese Bradshaw had 2 Interceptions on the day and Senior Kicker, Noah Shafton Made all but one of his Extra Points attempts. If Los Al can keep us these improvements then they might end the season at a .500 record. As far as playoffs go, I’m not too sure if they get a chance to make CIF if they win their next two games, but I am very confident winning their next two games is the plan for Los Al right now. Their schedule is as follows:

10/25 vs Huntington Beach

11/1  vs Corona Del Mar