Defying Stereotypes

Stereotypes only invalidate our perspectives and limit our perception of reality.

girlsaskguys.com

Jackie Bond, Staff Writer

We all know the classic high school cliques: the jocks, the band geeks, the high school nerds, the drama kids, the preppies, and of course, the popular kids. As high school students, we constantly use these stereotypes to classify our beliefs and perceptions of the high schoolers around us. But, the rapid, superficial judgment that we continually participate in is rarely ever a true reflection of reality. Although it is easy to use our stereotypical views to generalize others, no high school student fully adheres to the limitations we force upon him/her. As we struggle to find ourselves through this era of social standards and school pressures, we feel the need to define ourselves by the single most prominent trait in our lives. We put on a persona that amplifies this trait, which is often the first (and sometimes the only) thing that others judge us by.
Many teenagers (myself included), conform to what other people perceive us as, by using generalized classifications to determine our place in high school and in life. But, in spite of our own assumptions and the assumptions of others, we can not be defined by just a single aspect of our identity. For instance, although I might be generalized as a “preppy”, I am much more than just the stereotypical school girl. I constantly try to defy the stereotypical, superficial views others have of me, which has taught me that no one should be solely judged on their appearance and the people they associate with. Because no stereotype truly reflects a person’s depth of character or underlying strength.