Let’s Get This Party Crackin’

The Nutcracker season is coming up, and dancers are ready for it!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Let’s Get This Party Crackin’

Clara dances with her godfather, Drosselmeyer, on Christmas Eve. (Photo Courtesy of Drew Roublick at Vimeo)

Adalie Landa, Staff Writer

The Nutcracker is a ballet production that showcases the beauty in telling a story to the audience and is one of the most well-known performances in a ballet company. The Nutcracker is about a girl named Clara along with her brother, Fritz, whose parents host a Christmas party for friends and family on Christmas Eve. Their godfather, Drosselmeyer, visits the Christmas party along with a gift for Clara. The gift, you guessed it, is the Nutcracker. After the Christmas party, Clara sneaks downstairs to visit her lovely Nutcracker who she adored so much. She takes a small nap on the couch. When she wakes up, she finds herself with mice who steal her Nutcracker. Later on in the battle, she meets the Rat King who begins to battle her Nutcracker who came to life. After the battle, she and her new-founded prince who come from the Nutcracker are taken to a land of fairies and people from all over the land who welcome her with celebration.
Long Beach Ballet hosts this performance every year and describes the story into a magical illusion of color and beauty. The Goldstar Audience Survey says that Long Beach has the “Best-Loved Nutcracker in the Nation”. Long Beach Ballet is in their 37th annual production year and the show includes an Arabian horse, a full symphony orchestra, and a flying sleigh. The Nutcracker Ballet originated at the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg, Russia “around the Christmas holiday season on December 18 1892” and it’s first “United States performance was in 1944 by the San Francisco Ballet, staged by its artistic director and Balanchine student Willam Christensen” says the Moscow Ballet. The Nutcracker Ballet lives on throughout time and people are thrilled to perform/see this show once again at Long Beach Ballet.