Gun Culture and Calamity

No+political+squabble+is+worth+the+death+of+innocents.+

No political squabble is worth the death of innocents.

Jackie Bond, Staff Writer

As I’m sure you’ve all heard, another tragic shooting occurred at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita that past week, resulting in five students being shot, two of which died in the hospital. This marks the 2,340 mass shooting since the catastrophic school shooting at Sandy Hook in December of 2012.

The right to bear arms is an outdated and antiquated law that is only upheld because of the Second Amendment and the beliefs of America’s founding fathers. As important as those founding fathers were, they were still humans who, like everyone else, could not escape the fallibility of mankind. It was this fallibility and misjudgment that lead them to promote slavery, deny women the right to vote, and allow all Americans to own and use dangerous weapons which have destroyed countless lives.
As defense lawyer Mark O’Mara proclaims “30,000 gun deaths annually is not a reasonable sacrifice to make in order to blindly maintain our unrestricted gun culture”. Regardless of the misguided decrees of avid gun users or the belaboring of a 200 year old amendment which has signed away our safety, these potential disasters should not be permitted in any households, especially ones with children. According to BBC News, “40% of Americans say they own a gun or live in a household with one”. This influx of firearms has resulted in America being the leader in not only gun usage, but overall gun abuse. The US is clearly enduring a fire-arm crisis which can only be pacified by increasing restrictions among gun buyers, implementing new, effective background checks, and keeping guns out of the hands of minors. Isn’t the “burden” of this political change worth the safety of millions? Without these changes, this needless pain and suffering will only be exacerbated; leaving even more suffering students and forever-changed, mourning parents. Next time another school is attacked, another life is destroyed, another child dies, think of what you could have done to prevent it.