A Google of Doodles

If you like doodling, why not try applying for "Doodle for Google"?

There are hundreds of doodle submitted from around the world every year for this contest. 
(Photo Courtesy of depositphotos.com)

There are hundreds of doodle submitted from around the world every year for this contest. (Photo Courtesy of depositphotos.com)

Megan Jun, Staff Writer

January is the start of new resolutions. This year, why not try adding the Doodle for Google competition on your resolution list? Doodle for Google is a contest held annually by Google. This contest gives a chance for kids from kindergarten to 12th grade to get their “Google Doodle” displayed on the Google homepage as well as win several other prizes. “A Google Doodle is a special, temporary alteration of the logo on Google’s homepages intended to commemorate holidays, events, achievements, and notable historical figures,” states Wikipedia. The theme of the Doodle is different every year. This year’s theme is “I Show Kindness By…” and will be judged by Rodney Robinson, the national teacher of the year.

Of course in contests, there are rules. As said before, entrants can only be students in grades K-12. This contest is allowed for people in the USA, Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgins Islands of the US, and District of Columbia. The students must draw something related to the theme that also follows the outline or color of the Google logo. Afterward, students must mail the doodles to Google LLC.
There are stages of winning this contest. The stages are State and Territory Winners, National Finalists, and National Winner. Winners and finalists will also receive a prize. State and Territory Winners win Google hardware, an assembly at their school celebrating their achievement, and fun Google items. National Finalists will win a $5,000 college scholarship, trip to Google headquarters, and fun Google items. The National Winner will win a $30,000 college scholarship, $50,000 technology package for their school or non-profit organization, trip to Google headquarters, and fun Google items.

This contest is a good experience for many as well as a chance to express your creativity. To find out more information as well as entry forms, rules, and mailing information, you can visit https://doodles.google.com/d4g/. Good luck to all contestants taking part in this contest. Who knows; maybe you might be the winner of Doodle for Google!