Los Alamitos Girls Basketball Defeats the Vikings

Final Score 52-37 Los Al Beats Marina in Girls Basketball Credit: Trevor Hart

Trevor Hart, Sports Editor

On Tuesday, January 8th, the lady Griffins had a league match-up on the road against Marina High School. The Marina Vikings came in to this matchup with a record of 4-13. The second league game of the year was a success for the Griffins as they beat Marina 52-37. This game might of been an easier battle if senior Samantha Lau were there as there are only 2 seniors on the team, the other senior being #10 Kiara Jones played well and certainly helped Los Al reach this win. This was my first time at a Los Al Girls Basketball game and I have to say that Junior Dylyn Payne looked really skilled and definitely took charge in her teams win. She accounted for nearly one third of her teams points and had key turnovers. A player for Marina who really impressed me as well with her numerous 3 pointers was #32 of the Marina Vikings. Los Al’s record improves to 4-12 overall and 1-1 in league. For girls basketball, the four teams in the surf division are Los Alamitos, Edison, Corona Del Mar, and Huntington Beach.
If Los Al plans to go CIF they must finish in the top two of their division. The Griffins have only 8 more games left and their next couple games is as follows: 1/9 Fountain Valley
1/10 @Diamond Ranch
1/14 Newport Harbour
1/16 @Edison
1/23 Corona Del Mar
1/28 Edison
1/30 Huntington Beach
2/4 @Corona Del Mar