Los Al Boys Soccer beats Newport

Los Al Boys Senior night starting with traditional balloon pillars PC: Trevdawg Hart

Trevor Hart, Sports Editor

This Tuesday, February 4th, the Los Alamitos High School Varsity Boys Soccer team had a home league matchup against Newport Harbour High School. Also on Tuesday it was senior night for the Griffins, so the seven seniors: Alex Roubanis, Cole Calhoun, Christian Sobrian, Chase Dutton, Nick Hodge, Justin Lopez, and Andrew Salazar, were all congratulated and honored as they finish their high school sporting careers.

The game was long and hard fought, but in the end the Griffins took the win with the score finishing off 1-0. The game was tied up until late in the first half #11 Junior, Micheal Simpson, scored a brilliantly executed goal for Los Al. Newport Harbor, however, struggled to score points as Los Al’s goalie made quick moves to the ball to keep Los Al’s defense on point.

The game at halftime was intervened by Los Al’s ASB when they proposed to the crowd that four volunteers may attempt to kick a soccer ball in to the crossbar of the goal for a free prom ticket. The four volunteers were selected and Justin Childres, a senior at Los Alamitos High School, who was a volunteer, hit the crossbar and everyone went nuts. Justin is now promised a free prom ticket which is probably very useful to him or to most people as prom tickets are typically priced around $100 now a days.

The halftime show aside, the Griffins after this win, now improve their record to 7-6-5 and 2-3 in League. They are now faced up in their last regular season game of the season against Corona Del Mar High School and must win to be in the possible tie for 2nd Place or the even crazier four way tie for 1st with a Los Al win and a win by Newport Harbor against Edison.