Parenting Stands For Patience

Learn how to support your child the right way!

Finding ways to spend time with your 
child can increase their motivation to work hard.(Photo Courtesy of Adobe Stock)

Finding ways to spend time with your child can increase their motivation to work hard.(Photo Courtesy of Adobe Stock)

Adalie Landa, Staff Writer

Making sure that parents support their children (especially during high school) is very crucial to how they grow as a person and who they become to be. One positive way of supporting your child while also maintaining control is to teach your child empathy. Letting your child know that you are always there to support them and not make their life harder can ensure a more equal level of relationship. Also, listening to how your child views a problem can allow you to understand their point of view and understand what they are going through. This allows more trust between both sides of the party and can increase how much each person values the other’s opinions. Psychology Today says that even though parents are looking out for the best for their children, “it’s also important for parents to recognize that kids come into the world with their own temperaments, personalities, and goals. While parents may want to push their child down a certain path, a parents’ job is to provide an interface with the world that ultimately prepares a child for complete independence and the ability to pursue whatever path they choose”. Letting parents understand the best possible ways to make their children shine is important for both the growth of the child and how they will parent their child. Giving your child the right amount of space alone can also increase a trust/bond between you and your child. But also make sure that you engage at least some of the times with your child because lack of parenting can leave to “poor behavioral outcomes in children”. Making room to make your child their best is one of the many joyful experiences that can get them where they need to be in life.