Senior of Marching Band

Carina Sofelkanik, Staff Writer

Whether it was in the band room, in the stands of a football game, or competing on the field herself, you could always count on Madeline Monreal to play spectacular music. Senior Madeline Monreal is a flautist in the Los Alamitos High School Marching Band. She has been playing in the marching band since freshman year and has continued to play all four years of high school. She chose to play the flute in fifth grade because it was cute and easy to carry around! The thrill of performing on the field, surrounded by her friends is what she loves most about music. Her favorite thing about the marching band is the fact that she made so many lifelong friends in the program. Throughout her four years of being in band, her favorite memory is either marching down Main Street at Disneyland or playing in the New Year’s Day parade in London. Being part of the marching band helped her overcome the challenge of getting out of her comfort zone and was able to try new things with her friends. Madeline is most proud of competing with the band for four years and being able to play abroad in London. A little secret about Madeline and the other flautists in the marching band is that they do a special handshake before every performance and competition. When she isn’t practicing or playing her flute, you will most likely see her at Disney. She loves all things Disney and has been collecting Disney pins all her life. She plans to go to Disneyworld with her family once it reopens. After four years at Los Al, Madeline will be continuing her academic career at California State University of Long Beach and will be majoring in Nursing. Madeline Monreal will be known in the band program as a talented, great musician and a girl with a golden heart. She is a true gem in the class of 2020.