The Griffin Chronicle

The Starbucks Generation

Photo courtesy of wikimedia commons

Photo courtesy of wikimedia commons

Photo courtesy of wikimedia commons

Vijay Patel, Staff Writer

As coffee becomes a lifestyle for some students of Los Alamitos High School, some adults become concerned for their health. However, teens say it is necessary for them to survive through strenuous homework.

With the grand amount of AP and Honors classes LAHS offers, students indulge in caffeine to stay focused and energetic during class. Six out of ten Los Al High students drink coffee at least once a day, and two students say that they consume it occasionally. Briannah Kraft says that after drinking it she’s,“much more awake and can get more done” which is the main reason why high school students are beginning to favor the drink.

Parents are starting to become worried for their children. Lisa Wallace, Mother of a Los Al teen, explains that she lets her teen drink one cup a day,“which is okay.” She also states that “coffee should be taken in small amounts.” Yet, other parents do not want their children on coffee at all because they feel that it stunts growth and leads to health problems.

Erin Lawrence, Los Alamitos District Nurse, was questioned regarding the topic and she suggests that “teens should take coffee in moderation,” because ,“health effects will only happen if they are exposed to too much.” Mrs. Lawrence answers that coffee does not in fact stunt a child’s growth at all.

Many scientific studies and research actually shows that coffee lowers many risks for disease and cancers. As well, coffee contains many nutrients and antioxidants that are beneficial to the human body. Coffee is also proven to help people live longer and happier.

Although there may be negative consequences to drinking coffee, the positive outweigh those. Parents may be worried about their kids’ health at Los Al but not too many are educated otherwise. Students use coffee as a way to be happier and stay awake during school after a long night of homework. But again, it all ties back to moderation which is just one cup a day.