The Griffin Chronicle

‘Home Again’ is Heartwarming and Hilarious

Photo courtesty of Wikimedia Commons.

Photo courtesty of Wikimedia Commons.

Photo courtesty of Wikimedia Commons.

Piper Johnson, Staff Writer

Director Hallie Meyers-Shyer presents yet another funny, warm-hearted, romantic comedy with her latest film Home Alone. While viewers may recognize a few familiar faces, the film introduces several lesser-known actors as well.

After separating from her husband (Michael Sheen), Alice Kinney (Reese Witherspoon) and her two daughters move from New York to Los Angeles. When Alice goes out for her 40th birthday, she accidentally stumbles into three young movie makers: Harry (Pico Alexander), George (Jon Rudnitsky), and Teddy (Nat Wolff). After Alice offers the trio a place to stay when they are kicked out of their apartment, matters complicate as Alice and Harry begin to develop feelings for one another.

This film is very entertaining due to its humorous cast and warm-hearted feel. Shyer uses some actors that viewers may not have really seen before as well as some that we all know. Pico Alexander, who plays Harry, nails his part, acting charming and flirtatious. This role was the perfect match for him, as it seems to match his genuine personality. It is nearly impossible not to fall for his charming personality.

One of the best things about this movie is its relatability. We all want to be successful in our careers and relationships; this film showcases what it is like to have no idea what you want to do with your life career-wise and who you want to keep in your life. Many people struggle with handling these two things, as sometimes it is so hard to really know what you want. At the same time, one cannot help but laugh about some of the situations the characters get themselves into.

Personally, I loved how the difference in the character’s ages added humor and made it so much more fun to watch; while Alice is used to having messes in the house because of her kids, she is not used to grown men leaving messes too. Also, regional cultural differences create hilarity as well; as Alice has just moved to Los Angeles, she does not yet know all these terms that only Californians would know. One cannot help but laugh as she hopelessly tries to figure out what all these terms mean.

In my opinion, this is an excellent movie for anyone to watch. The entire film, from the characters to the use of humor, is truly great and is one of the better movies that has come out this year!