The Griffin Chronicle

Why tea is better than coffee

Ryan Welz, Staff Writer

Many teachers and students alike find their caffeine fix to be an integral part of their morning routine. Unfortunately, a large majority of these people consume this acidic bean water as opposed to  experiencing the the pure blissful serenity of a warm cup of tea. Is tea underrepresented as the versatile drink it is, or are people too ignorant of the superiority of tea over coffee? The world may never know; thankfully, I’m here to enlighten you on the subject.

Although tea does have a caffeine content that is lower than coffee, this can be remedied by steeping longer or simply brewing with a stronger type of tea. Many types of green tea, for example, have the perfect amount of caffeine to put a pep in your step while also providing a myriad of health benefits. Tea also has the plus of not making you cringe every time you take a sip, even without diluting its flavor with sugar or other unhealthy additions. Although not definitive, many studies have shown that tea reduces your risk of heart attacks and strokes, helps with weight loss, helps to protect your bones, helps to keep your smile bright, boosts the immune system, and can even help to battle cancer. Sure, coffee might do a slightly better job of making you feel less like a zombie in the morning, but has the downside of a bitter, violent taste, while also lacking the countless health benefits tea can provide. If you want to be healthy and be alert, do yourself a favor, start drinking tea.

Many people simply say they don’t like the taste of tea. In this case, they most likely have only tried one type, disliked it, and then figured that all tea will not please their palate. This is wrong. The great thing about tea is what there’s so many kinds. Green, black, oolong, jasmine, the list goes on! If you don’t like that overly sweetened garbage iced tea you get at your local grocery store, you’ll more than likely enjoy a warm cup of green or black tea with a subliminally pleasant aroma. This versatility is what makes tea great; there’s so many types, and so many ways to make and consume this magical drink.

Tea leaves a much smaller carbon footprint on our Earth; it also wastes fewer resources during trade, making it must cheaper to buy. This means that the consumer pays substantially less for a cup of tea than a cup of coffee, making tea the obvious choice when being economically conservative and  conscientious of our environment, as well as being good to your body and taste buds.