The Griffin Chronicle

Candy Corn: A Sugary Scourge

Max Hawk, Staff Writer

Candy corn is seen by many as a staple for the Halloween season. This is a tragic disrespect to the spooky holiday. Candy corn is a disgusting mixture of sickly sweet sugar, syrup, and food coloring that is consumed by people who have blatant disregard for their own health and have no concept of taste. Everything about candy corn is a lie, from the fact that candy is supposed to taste good to how the only corn in it is high fructose corn syrup.

There is a clear reason why this pathetic excuse for candy can be genuinely harmful, let alone the issue that it just does not taste good. Candy corn is flat out awful for your health due to the fact that it’s main ingredients are sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Health experts generally frown upon artificial colors and empty calories, too, which doesn’t fare well for this candy. According to information found on isitbadforyou.com, about 12 grams of sugar can be found in a serving of candy corn. Considering that the World Health Organization recommends consuming only 25 grams of sugar or less per day, candy corn is very unhealthy to put into one’s body. Two servings, about fourteen pieces of the tiny candy, would nearly reach the limit for an entire day. This trash-tasting “treat” is not worth the amount of sugar, especially since too much sugar in one’s diet can lead to obesity, heart disease, and even raise the chance of getting specific cancers. It can also cause dental issues such as cavities and tooth decay. Besides these long term issues, one consumption can leave people with a painful toothache.

The even more dangerous ingredient in candy corn is high fructose corn syrup. While sugar in moderation can be acceptable, HFCS in any quantity can cause a myriad of serious health issues, both short and long term. It can interfere with the production and storage of fat as well an a reduction of energy. Everybody loves something that results in them gaining weight and not having the energy to do anything about it, right? More concerning is that long term effects include diabetes, cancer, heart disease, dementia, increased cholesterol, and accelerated aging. High fructose corn syrup should be avoided like the plague as it’ll probably kill you just as quickly.

It is possible to go on for hours about the negative health aspects of candy corn, but honestly, the flavor of these waxy sugar cones should be enough to drive people away. No nuances of flavor can be found when consuming this food, no subtle scents that make things like coffee exciting. All that candy corn provides is a direct route to a terrible taste and a wide array of problems. Save yourself the trouble this year and throw out the bag of undesirable detriments.

Max Hawk, Staff Writer

Max Hawk is a junior at Los Alamitos High School. He's been in journalism for two years and is a member of the Cappies team. He also enjoys writing on...