Should We Be Able to Grade Our Teachers?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Public Domain Pictures

Piper Johnson, Staff Writer

As in every school, teachers grade students on how well they do in a class, our participation, our quality of work, etc.  We are the ones worrying about how well we are doing in class and if we are passing.  We are given homework throughout the week and are expected to complete it, but what if we gave our teachers work to do in the week?  I, personally, have been lucky and have had mostly good teachers throughout my education.  There have only been a couple of times where I was wondering if this teacher should be teaching.  Since students are the ones that are constantly getting graded based on their performance in school, I think that teachers should be graded too.  The grading system should be divided into categories of how well they teach and how well we understand what they are teaching us.  With a previous teacher of mine, I would always go up to them and they wouldn’t really explain to me what I was asking them.  They would just go into other subjects completely opposite from what I asked.  It’s times like that when I get frustrated because I just want to understand what it is that they are teaching us.  I think at the end of each lesson we grade our teachers on how well we understood what they were saying and how well we comprehended what they were saying.  Then, the teacher can go back and look at what we wrote and work on improving their teaching skills.  I think it would really help teachers because it would give them a sense of what their class wants to see from him/her.  Also, let’s say that how they were teaching was really bad, it could help them realize that maybe they need to improve.  Some teachers that I have had, I have to question their teaching techniques.  I have been in classes before where no one understands what the teacher is teaching.  We have asked them to repeat what they have said and to show us in a different way what they are trying to teach, but some teachers have their own specific ways and won’t budge.  By giving them a report at the end of each lesson, it will improve the teacher and the students.  Everybody learns differently and goes at a different pace than others.  Sometimes it takes a student practicing a bunch of times to understand how to do something.  Eventually, with the practice, we will be able to do it in no time.