The Griffin Chronicle

The Four-time World Champion – Lewis Hamilton

Lewis with his Britain flag after winning the World Championship

Sai Svati, Staff Writer

Formula One, before you get alarmed, is not a chemistry or physics formula. It is the highest class of single-seat auto racing. It is widely watched Motorsport throughout the world. Formula One can be seen live or tape delayed in almost every country and territory around the world and attracts one of the largest global television audiences. The 2008 season attracted a global audience of 600 million people per race.It is a massive television event; the cumulative television audience was calculated to be 54 billion for the 2001 season, broadcast to 200 territories. On the economic part the cost of designing and building mid-tier cars being of the order of $120 million, Formula One’s economic effect and creation of jobs are significant. Its high profile and popularity have created a major merchandising environment, which has resulted in large investments from sponsors and budgets in the hundreds of millions for the constructors of the car.

With all this in mind, this article is about the current world champion- Lewis Hamilton. He was crowned this year’s world champion on Sunday the twenty-ninth of September in Mexico. He is a British racing driver who races in Formula One for the Mercedes AMG Petronas team. A four-time Formula One World Champion, he is often considered the best driver of his generation and widely regarded as one of the greatest Formula One drivers in the history of the sport. This year’s rivalry and the fight for championship was between him and Ferrari driver ,Sebastian Vettel, who had already won four world championships.

The start of the season was quite eventful for both the drivers. Both of them took pole or second during qualifying and one beat the other during the race. Before the summer break, the chances for Hamilton to win the season was bleak. Vettel had an advantage over Hamilton on the points table. Once the summer break was done, Hamilton was in the right headspace and won all the crucial races that helped him have a huge point advantage over Vettel. The most eventful race of the season was Singapore Grand Prix when Vettel had to retire due to a crash and the following races had the side effects of a damaged car.

The race in Mexico was not the way Hamilton would have expected it to go. Owing to a crash between him and Vettel, both the title contenders went down from leading the race to the twentieth and nineteenth position respectively. To win the world championship Hamilton had to be in the top ten position of the race. He pushed hard and reached the ninth spot whereas Vettel reached fourth. This did not stop Hamilton from winning the world championship. In an interview he said, “It doesn’t feel real, I’m really happy with this fourth. I’m going to have to take some time to really think about it but I’m proud of the flag and everyone who represents it.” The only other people who have more wins than him are the legends: Michael Schumacher and Juan Manuel Fangio. With two more races to go, fans are excited to see what Hamilton has to offer.