The Griffin Chronicle

Catalonia’s Secession Attempts

Eva Rojo, Staff Writer

Since the early twentieth century, the Catalonian province has wanted to secede from Spain. Carles Pouigdemont, a Catalan leader, is currently leading the Catalonians in order to secede. But the real question is, why would they want to secede? Also, how would it impact Spain if they did?
Catalonia is located on the northeastern portion of the Iberian peninsula. It is quite known around the world for its cultured and diverse capital, Barcelona. Catalonia is already its own country from Spain because it has its own language, Catalonian, and its own president, who has been fired by the president of Spain. Catalonia is a small province, taking up six percent of Spain’s land, but despite that it is is vitally crucial to Spain’s way of living. According to The Guardian, a quarter of Spain’s foreign tourists travel to Catalonia. Plus 20% of its economy comes from Catalonia, which is worth 215.6 billion euros. More than most Spanish provinces. 21% of Spain´s taxes comes from Catalonia. So, if Catalonia were to secede the effects would be drastic.
Originally, Catalonia was an independent region, but in the year, 1150, Spain took hold of Catalonia and every since they have wanted to leave Spain. Catalonians have always been different from other regions of Spain. They have a different language, constitution, form of politics. The main reason separatists wish to part ways with Spain is because, like tax, little of the money they make goes to their benefit. Catalans wish to take control of their own economy. Recently there had been a vote on would the Catalans desire to leave. 90% òf the people who could vote agreed that they want to leave.
Spain would be frantic without Catalonia. They wouldn´t function as well as they do now. So, Spain is doing everything it can to stop the protesters and every mention of secession. It is likely that, like most attempts to leave Spain, Catalonia will fail. But, sooner or later a compromise between government and province will have to be made or peace in Spain be lost quickly.