FAFSA Opened October 1

Back to Article
Back to Article

FAFSA Opened October 1

All seniors planning to attend college next year should apply for FAFSA.

Nicole Ginaven, Staff Writer

The applications for FAFSA opened October 1.  What does that mean for us seniors at Los Alamitos High School?

If you are a senior planning to attend college next year, applying for FAFSA is something you should plan on completing.  FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and this determines how much financial aid you are going to receive for college.  Everyone should apply, because most students are able to receive some form of financial aid. Since the application is free, you might as well apply, in case you turn out to be eligible for a big financial aid package.  Even if the amount you receive is small, it can still help with college, and with the high prices of college, every little bit helps.

In addition, FAFSA is not only for four year colleges.  One mistake community college students make is not applying for FAFSA because they think they are not eligible, and missing out on money they could have received.  If you are planning on attending community college, you can still apply for FAFSA and receive financial aid.

There are no downsides to applying for FAFSA, only the upside of possibly receiving free money for college, so every senior planning to attend college next year should apply by March 2, 2019.