A Passion For Spanish

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Passion For Spanish

This is Mrs. Kelly or to her students, Señorita Kelly.

Emily Chavez, Staff Writer

In high school, we have to take two years of a foreign language. At Los Alamitos, High School you have the choice of French, Spanish, German, and Japanese. Although all of these languages are very interesting with heritage, there are normally two languages even spoken in the United States. Spanish and English are the two most common here, which of course is why Spanish is very common language that most students pick.

On staff, we have many Spanish teachers but out of those is Mrs. Kelly. Mrs Kelly is 27 years old and teaches Spanish in room 714. Surprisingly, she has been teaching at the high school for four years and is still doing well by keeping her class fun and engaging. She may seem like a normal Spanish teacher who gives you textbook pages to do your homework or make you recite new terms but instead uses both styles of visually and physically teaching in her classes.

She said that she likes her job at Los Alamitos because her style of teaching is similar to the other teachers. She likes to keep it fun, alive, and engaging. She gives students hand signals, songs, and includes humor in her daily classes. Mrs. Kelly’s teaching style is different than other classes like English and Math because they do not have more physical ways to memorize or learn but instead focus on more listening and visual ways of learning.

It was last week that the class was learning a traditional Mexican dance taught by a student’s mother. The class had fun and was excited to be more knowledgeable in Mexican dances. She has decorated classroom with bright colors and a warm smile. She genuinely cares for her job and her students while holding a passion for Spanish. She said “Spanish is one of the most beautiful-sounding languages ‘cause it’s so romantic…it sounds just like a song.”