Marching On To Greater Victories

The+LAHS+Marching+Band+at+its+Recent+Competition.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Marching On To Greater Victories

The LAHS Marching Band at its Recent Competition.

Photo Courtesy of Paul Guelpa

Photo Courtesy of Paul Guelpa

Photo Courtesy of Paul Guelpa

Elizabeth Guelpa, Staff Writer

This past Saturday, October 27th the marching band had its second competition of the season. The band had practice on Monday and Tuesday for three hours each to work out some problems in the show and go over the full show. To prepare, it also performed at the halftime show at the football game the night prior. The band scored a 85.45 in total, earning first place.  The competition was a WBA (Western Band Association) competition and so the bands are placed into divisions by band size. Our marching band is in 3A with 91 members. There are two divisions above 3A and those are 4A and 5A. 4A and 5A bands have a very large band size and they usually score higher, but our band scored the third highest out of all of the five divisions, the top 2 scores were from two 5A bands.

The band is judged both musically and visually. Two of the four judges are music and two are visual. There is a field judge for and a box judge for. The judges also make recordings of comments and critiques and they are sent out to the band. In the fourth and fifth period band classes, Mr. Plunkett, the band teacher and director, played the recordings for students to listen to and hopefully improve upon some aspects of their performance. The band has another competition this upcoming Saturday and will hopefully score even higher this time.

The marching band show, titled La Ofrenda, has a Day of the Dead theme. The show has three movements, the first being uptempo, the second a ballad, and the third is fast and upbeat. The band is also holding a free showcase for the community to show off their show on November 12th at 6:30. The showcase will be at LAHS Stadium. Make sure you are there. You do not want to miss this amazing show.