Poll: Is Vaping In School The New Epidemic?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is vaping really as bad as it seems?

Is vaping really as bad as it seems?

Photo Courtesy of John Caroro

Is vaping really as bad as it seems?

Photo Courtesy of John Caroro

Photo Courtesy of John Caroro

Is vaping really as bad as it seems?

Emily Chavez, Staff Writer

On our school campus, it is not unusual to see students vaping or talking about it. Vaping is a topic that some disagree with but others see as a good thing. To see what a majority of students thought about vaping, I went around campus at lunch asking people what they thought of vaping. Specifically, for this poll, I decided to ask if they thought vaping was good, bad, or did not care about the topic.

Now, on campus, most people disagreed and said it was bad. They went on to say that vaping is “just as bad as a cigarette”. The New York Post states that the gas also inflates the lungs that is similar to those of a cigarette. The New York Post is not the only one who disagrees with vaping. The Johns Hopkins Medicine website for instance says that it is certainly still very addictive because unlike the traditional cigarettes, this has more nicotine. Nicotine is what makes cigarettes so addicting.

With those that disagree are a small group of four who think that vaping is good. With these students are studies that totally help their argument. For instance, the Pubic Health in England does state that a electronic cigarette is 95 percent more safer than an actual cigarette. It is said that vaping in 2015 had cured about 49 people who had an addiction but is also creating new addictions. There was also another study that had been done by the Cancer Research UK that supports vaping and believes it to be better than smoking. But unlike these two categories are those who don’t care about vaping. There is a group of about 11 that were in the ballpark of “it is their life, not mine”. Although these minorities are correct, it is very important that we consider our health and take the right precautions.