Study Habits

Some studying methods to help students better their grades!

Study+Habits

Francesca Macomber, Staff Writer

Studying is something we’re all acquainted with, even the procrastinator that glances at crumpled notes a second before the fated exam. Although procrastination seems a worthy op, there are better, more efficient ways for my fellow students and I to tackle assignments.

The first important notion is that studying isn’t all about the night before the test; it’s cumulative. Although we all have little assignments that seep through the cracks, it’s important to remember that every stray homework page and note parcel is crucial to our understanding.

A question remains, though; how do we monopolize on our corral of loose papers and information in order to prepare for the battle of the monstrous exam? It’s not as bad as your anxiety-dreams and nail-biting thoughts will lead you to believe. 

The number one thing to help achieve that, though, is the hardest; time management. A student must grit their teeth, fill-up their water bottle, and sit down at their desk for hours. Wrong! According to Online Schools, a website, it is best to take breaks in between studying. 

The methods I find the best for studying are repetition, highlighting, connection, and detail.

Repetition involves things such as taking a sloppy version of notes in class, then, at home, copying them in color within a composition book, while using things such as post-its and diagrams to further understanding. No longer will the frantic searching for loose-leaf papers with smudged graphite have to be done.

The second involves the classic office supply highlighter. On homework assignments, in notes, even in minder-binders, highlighters help focus our brains and restore information better. Study Better, a studying-tip website, states there are multiple benefits for going over school material with a highlighter, such as comprehension and memory. 

Connection is more of an abstract process; for example, James Oglethorpe was crucial in the formation of Georgia, a colony based off of military prowess. The Spanish colonists ogled at their power; now, I have an easier time remembering who started the colony, based off the connection I made between his silly name and the context of what occurred around it.

Detail is more of a gradual process; in books you’re reading for class, or in a textbook when you’ve found information that appears as though it will be important later, document it! Use post-its, notebook paper, pens, markers, etc., to help you keep track!

Hopefully, the tips I’ve shared will be just as useful for you, as a student, as they have been for me. Good luck out there!