Insomnia in Teens

An article that explains some causes and effects of teens with insomnia.

Does High School Teach Us What We Really Need?

Photo Courtesy of Picserver

Francesca Macomber, Staff Writer

Restless lives and piling assignments fit the usual repertoire of the high-school student. Days spent with concern over an upcoming paper or the newest round of mathematical equations can dizzy thoughts as surely as a dilapidated roller-coaster ride. It’s true, students have many challenges to overcome.

Yet, through the agony high-school induces, through the hours of studying and the focus we utilize to ace that dreaded test, there seems to be little solutions; however, we can rely on one friend to always recharge us and prepare us for what is some of the most important years of our life…

Sleep.

Or, can we?

According to NCBI, roughly twenty-four percent of students experience insomnia. So, basically, in a group of five kids, one of them may be lolling from a lack of sleep the previous night, unrelated to the time dedicated to homework.

The matter is a serious one. A lack of sleep can lead to bouts of irritability, and sudden mood changes, which, in turn, can lead to matters as serious as depression. It’s hard enough balancing a regular school life, especially with the threat of college looming so prominently. Without the necessity that is sleep, how can a student be expected to face the daunting tasks of everyday school life?

However, there are mundane approaches that can be taken to alleviate the grief caused from insomnia. According to WebMD, exercising, spending less leisure time in bed, and waking up at the same time every day can lead to a better sleeping schedule.

Sleeping is essential to what makes a human body function, despite how strange it may seem. Lying still for several hours, doing absolutely nothing…Yet, truly, our body is performing multiple tasks that keep us alive and healthy.

Don’t underestimate how much sleep you need, and don’t simply resolve to accepting your lack of sleep. If truly is a matter of concern, talk to your counselor, or legal-guardian.

Stay healthy.