Los Alamitos Girls Volleyball vs CDM

Logo of Griffins Volleyball
Credit: Los Alamitos High School

Logo of Griffins Volleyball Credit: Los Alamitos High School

Trevor Hart, Staff Writer

The Griffin girls volleyball team took a loss this past Monday (10/7) against the Corona Del Mar Sea Kings, three sets to one. This game was a struggle for the Griffins as they were missing two of their best players: outside hitters Chloe Allen and Alex Sanchez. Also, Senior Captain Abby Karich, was playing with a broken (left) finger which prevented her from blocking the entire game. And to top it all off, Senior Libero Jacinda Ramirez, was also playing with an ankle injury she got a couple weeks ago at practice.

The game play in Monday’s match was intense, and there were notable moments from each team. Junior outside hitter and team captain of the CDM Vikings, Molly Joyce, had an astonishing series of game highs and volleyball aces throughout this game. Molly had a jump serve that left Los Al’s passing game shook. Abby Karich, on the other hand (no pun intended), was slow in the beginning of the game on producing kills, but in the later sets of the game, she was pounding balls on the outside and in the middle of the court for a near comeback. A crazy play from the Griffins occurred when Shay Sapiga, a defensive specialist for Los Al, dug a ball with her face after a hit from Molly Joyce. Shay somehow made a great pass out of it, and as a result, the Griffins won the point. That point was a huge boost of momentum for Los Al as it was probably the point that encouraged them to not give up and win the third set. 

After this game the Griffins record changes to an overall record of 19-10, while their league record becomes 1-3. It is safe to say that it’s crunch time for Los Al. Even if some of their starters are not playing, they still need to bring their best against their next opponents. If the Griffins plan to make it to the CIF this year, the following must happen: Los Al needs to win their next 2 games (@Huntington Beach 10/10 at 6:30/Edison 10/15 at 6:30) and Huntington beach needs to lose their next 2 games.)

` Stat Leaders of Game Against CDM: 

Mia Siong: 3 Aces

Allie Livingston: 3 Aces, 21 Assists

Riley Beyma: 16 Digs

Jacinda Ramirez: 10 Digs, 2 Aces

Kamryn Parsonage: 11 Kills; Kill Percent of 37.9

Cambria Grant: 1 Block; 2 Assisted Blocks

Abby Karich: 10 Kills