Bread-Making

Persuasive argument for the wonder of bread-making

Credit to pexels

Francesca Macomber, Staff Writer

Last week, I spoke about the frivolous art of soap-making. The activity is one that captives some and bores most. Such a factor is irrelevant, considering that it’s an enjoyable, cheap process to fill up some spare weekend-time. Considering many of us students take AP classes, the question may be raised- who the heck has that sort of time?
Maybe soap isn’t worth the sacrifice, but bread certainly is. My dad has been making soap, bread, and other household normalities for a few months now, which saves us from long-term financial issues and provides a family-activity.
It can be a lengthy, slow process, considering the usage of the yeast and learning to create a proper balance, but overall, the end-result is worth it. The ingredients are flour, warm water, and yeast, oil, and white sugar. The two main dazzlers in the ingredient arena are flour and water. Sure, many of us aren’t gifted with the art of a baker’s thumb. However, bread is pretty hard to mar beyond recognition. Cakes and other pastries can require an aesthetic and a gifted, steady hand, but bread usually looks to be just that: bread. My father even went the extra-mile and made butter, as well, though that process involves adopting the role of churning it and spending many boring hours listening to radio shows in the kitchen.
Bread is the route to take, and though the idea of truly working with yeast as opposed to just hearing the term can be odd, it’s all worth it in the end. It’s one of the oldest man-made foods, so it can’t be that hard, right?