Los Al Volleyball Takes Gold at Millikan High School

Los Al beats Millikan 2-1 in the championship match PC: Noah Roberts

Trevor Hart, Sports Editor

This past weekend, your Los Alamitos Griffins took first place at the Millikan High School Tournament. The Griffins played in pool two of the four pools and started the weekend at Wilson High School. Los Al was put in as the one seed for the pool with Wilson being second and Motabello and Saddleback following. They went 3-0 in pool play as expected and like usual started off slow making multiple errors early in the first sets of games, but picked it up later in the day and absolutely tore Wilson to shreds. A big part of Los Al’s victories on Friday is from Noah Roberts, an Outside Hitter for the Griffins who is only a sophomore. He had a solid performance the entire weekend and especially on Friday, when other teams could not handle his jump serve as he counted for at least ten aces that day.

As far as Saturday went, the start of the day was scary as if Los Al were to lose the first game it would of been over for the rest of the day. Los Al was put up against LB Poly in their first match of the day and it was very close. Los Al lost the first set 19-25 after numerous communication mistakes were made in the front row and the backrow, but after Coach Kelly(Los Alamitos) decided to switch the line-up in the second set, it worked as the new line-up had beaten LB Poly 25-22. Los Al, now tied with LB Poly in sets, had one more game to play only to 15, and Los Al with their high volleyball IQ and strength edged LB Poly 15-13. Los Al would then go on to face Lakewood in the semis, beat them, and then play against Millikan in another intense three set match. Los Al had beaten Millikan at Millikan’s gym, in their own tournament in the last set, 15-10, while winning their first and last tournament plaque/trophy of the season. The two awards given out to the players of Los Al were First Team All Tournament, which was given to Tobias Murphree and Tournament MVP who was Erik Weissinger. Los Al, now done with all tournaments and pre-season matchups, has a nice looking overall record of 15-4. Los Al’s next game is against Corona Del Mar High School at Los Al on Wednesday, March 18th. Go Griffins!